The sleep deprivation is doing a number on my brain. Most of the time I sit around and think about how I want to be thinking but it just doesn’t seem to work. I broach a subject in my head but after a few cursory thoughts there is just… nothing. It’s just a grey murkiness where clarity and inspiration once lived.
And that’s okay. I know it’s just part of the first months. I know it will get better, the fog will lift, the sediment will settle to the bottom and I’ll be able to see again.
In the meantime I’ll take advantage of these two awards I was bestowed. I may be brain dead but I think I can still answer some fun questions. So thank you Elizabeth and GeoChick for giving me the Sunshine Award. These past days have been CHILLY so I could use a little sunshine.
First, the part where I get to cut and paste (I appreciate this very much). Here are the directions:
1. Include this icon in your post
2. Link to the blogger who nominated you
3. Answer 10 questions about yourself
4. Nominate 10 other bloggers to answer 10 new questions
5. Tell the people that they’ve won
First, Elizabeth’s questions:
1. What aspect of your life is most different than you had thought it would be/planned?
Hmm. This is a hard one. So many aspects of my life have been different than I planned, it’s hard to determine which is MOST different. I suppose it’s my relationship with my partner, or better said, his relationship with parenthood. I always assumed that I would marry someone who wanted to be a father as much as I wanted to be a mother, but that is not who I ended up with. This means that I approach parenthood in a very different way than I expected and I spend a lot of time trying to give my partner space to be happy. Instead of tackling things together, we end up spending a lot of time apart and I end up doing more with the kids than he does. That isn’t what I hoped for when I dreamed of having a family but I’m trying to make it work.
2. What is your favorite TV show?
This is hard. It changes with the times. I’ve loved so many TV shows. The X-Files was a HUGE favorite. I was really into Alias. I was obsessed with Battlestar Galactica when it was on. I was a big 30 Rock fan and I loved The Office before it jumped the shark. I currently love Scandal, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks and Rec and anything horrible and trashy on Bravo (yes, I’m talking about Vanderpump Rules).
3. Can you recommend a must-read blog?
There is no one blog I would consider must-read. I love so many of the blogs I read. (Lame cop-out I know).
4. How did you find my blog?
I can’t remember how I found you Elizabeth… All I know is that it was a long time ago. Do you remember?
5. What do you like most about yourself?
Hmmm… another hard one. I think I like my sense of humor. I enjoy making people laugh. I like my snark. I also really love my enthusiasm; I think I’m a lot of fun to be around. (Wow, I sound so self-absorbed answering this).
6. What is your least favorite day of the week and why?
Tuesday, because you’re already tired from Monday but there are still three more full days until the weekend.
7. What about being a parent scares you the most?
Another hard one! Elizabeth, you’re making me think when I don’t have any brain cells left! I guess I’m most scared that I might cause my children harm, either bodily or emotionally. I know I’d never do so on purpose but I worry my thoughtlessness or distraction might hurt them.
8. What do you eat for breakfast?
My two favorite breakfasts are pumpkin pancakes and sunny side up eggs on sourdough toast with bacon. We have those a lot on the weekends. On the weekdays I usually have Greek yogurt with granola or a Balance bar if I’m in a hurry.
9. Do you have an amazing must-have product that has changed your life?
Hmmm. I actually really love stuff and absolutely believe in products that can change your life so I want to answer this carefully… I guess the one material thing that has most changed my life if my iPhone. Having internet access, plus all the apps, with me all the time has really been a game changer for me.
10. What celebrity can you not stand?
Oh! I know this one! Andy Cohen of Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live. I hate that douche bag. He drives me crazy.
And now for GeoChick’s questions. She kept them short and sweet (which I appreciate) so I will follow suit with my responses.
1. Why are you awake now? Haha. I like this one. Because my daughter is still awake (despite “going to bed” an hour ago) and my son will be awake again soon, wanting to eat. Also I have a lot of pump and bottle parts to wash. (And then I have to pump again).
2. Cake or Pie? Cake. No question.
3. Do you like romantic comedies, action, horror or dramas? My movie preferences are as follows: comedies and actions are tied for first (I’m a huge sucker for comic book adaptations), dramas are next, then romantic comedies (I only watch these alone, when Mi.Vida is out doing his thing) and finally horrors, which I almost never watch because I end up hiding behind the sofa screaming like a little girl.
4. What’s the weather like today? Clear but cold
5. Do you like your job? Meh. I like it well enough. I wish it paid better. I’m hoping to move up to high school sometime soon; I’m getting sick of teaching middle schoolers.
6. If money were no object, where would you live? Where I live now (San Francisco), only in a bigger house, in a better neighborhood.
7. Favorite pizza toppings? Tomato and bacon.
8. Have you ever been backpacking? Yes. Once. I didn’t break my boots in well enough and my ankles hurt so bad I cried during most of the 22 miles. It was rough.
9. Time travel – yes or no? I’m unclear on what this is asking, so I guess, yes? To elaborate, I believe Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the best treatment of time travel in any book or movie. Is that what you were looking for?
10. What’s your favorite swear word? (or exclamation) The f-bomb. It’s fucking brilliant.
And now for my 10 questions and the 10 people I’m going to ask to answer them.
1. Favorite word that isn’t really a word?
2. Batman or Superman?
3. Best body part?
4. Greatest personal achievement?
5. Diet or regular (or water)?
6. Yoga or running (or couch)?
7. Favorite store?
8. Bedtime routine?
9. Favorite social media site?
10. Biggest vice?
And now my nominees (in no particular order): Non Sequitur Chica, Sarah at Mommyhood After Fertility Frustration, Daryl at Something Out of Nothing, Deborah at Unglamorous, Waterbelle at honest:status:update, pajamamommas, Another Bun, Ana at anabegins, Ms. Future PharmD, bitsnpieces. I tried to pick people who haven’t gotten the award yet; if you have and I re-awarded it to you, don’t feel the need to do it again. I also know that all of you are VERY BUSY so if you don’t have time for this, please ignore it! If you think it would be fun, go for it, otherwise just pretend I never sent it your way.