After two weeks of working on Project Dreamcatcher: Operation Reclaim Our Backyard it became clear that I needed to re-visit my weekly goals. First of all I added the back stretch, and that quickly became a disaster. Second of all I can’t find anyone who wants to help me with the middle square, which means I have to do it myself. Third of all, extra work is presenting itself quite frequently. I finally checked the district calendar and have my official first work day marked, which is Wednesday, August 21. Isa is home the whole week before that so that means I have only about five, maybe six weeks left to work on the back yard (I’m assuming I can get a few days worth of work done that week Isa is off, my mom will probably take her for me, plus I have a few days the week I go back to work). That isn’t much time. In fact, it’s not enough time, which means I have to abandon some goals or keep them and then be disappointed when I don’t achieve them. Blerg.
So, this is what I’m trying to do in the next five to six weeks.
WEEKS 1-2 (June 16-29)
Clear, amend soil and plant the left side and half of back. CHECK!
WEEKS 3-4 (July 7-20)
1. Buy lavender bushes, ground cover, plant compost and mini-mulch.
2. Clear the rocks from the rest of the back stretch.
3. Amend the soil in the back stretch.
4. Plant lavender bushes and tree from mom in the back stretch.
5. Clear grass from right side stretch.
6. Cut down–and dig up roots–of rose bush.
7. Amend soil on the right side stretch.
8. Plant ground cover on the right side stretch.
9. Cover spaces between ground cover with wet newspaper and mulch on the left side.
10. Cover spaces between ground cover with wet newspaper and much on the right side.
WEEKS 5-6 (July 21 – August 3)
1. Get massive pile of debris from back stretch hauled away (How will I do this?!)
2. Find and buy stepping stones.
3. Order miniature stonecrop.
4. Clear grass from square.
5. Amend soil in square.
6. Place stepping stones.
7. Plant miniature stonecrop.
8. Cover soil between plants with newspaper and mulch.
Weeks 7-8+ (August 4-20)
1. Finish the middle square (I highly doubt I can get that done in two weeks).
2. Measure stairs for lattice work.
3. Buy lattice work pieces for stairs.
4. Hammer lattice work to stairs.
5. Get old picnic table out of the backyard and picked up.
6. Get a new picnic table for the backyard.
7. Set up new picnic table.
8. Get ALL the bags out of the backyard and picked up.
REVEL IN MY NEW BACKYARD!